Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Muli Shani?

Well there's my first attempt at bemba. It means 'how are you?' Anyways, since I just updated today I don't have much new to say. Oh yeah, I had said previously that if you want me to mail you something to email me your address, but I don't know if that's fair. I think you should have to write me a letter so I can get your address.
Oh yeah, just because it sounds cool, I found out I'll be making about a cool million a month. Kwacha that is. It sounds impressive until I tell you that it takes about 5000 kwacha to equal a dollar.
Tomorrow I meet my homestay family that I will be living with for the next 9 weeks. So far we've learned about 5 greetings that I'll be able to use and then I imagine the conversation will come to a grinding halt. I foresee a whole bunch of awkward silences for a few weeks.
As for the country itself. So far the food has been pretty good. Nothing that has made me wince too much. Nshima is the staple food which I'll be eating most meals for the next couple of years. It looks like mashed potatoes but it is pretty much just cornmeal and water to make a completely tasteless mush of sorts. The first time was difficult but I've gotten much better at eating it. Poverty here is everywhere you look. Pretty much everyone walks everywhere. Outside of the main cities only about half of the people have shoes. You see kids running around along highways by themselves. There are many sad sights, but the hospitality of the people is great. They are always smiling and waving and being very happy. I can't say enough about my experiences with Zambians thus far.
Well, that's all for today's installment.

Pearson, out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home