Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

A Horrible Tragedy


Hello everyone-
I update my site today with a very heavy heart. We were to have sworn in yesterday and today be headed out to our sites. Unfortunately, my good friend Wyatt suffered an accident in the early hours of Friday morning that resulted in his untimely death. He was a great guy and an even better friend. Even though I'd only known him for 10 weeks, when you spend 10 hours every day with people a special bond can be formed. I'm not at liberty to provide any additional details to what happened. I would like to extend my most heartfelt condolences to his family and can only hope that they are finding some sort of consolation that his last 10 weeks were a great experience for him and he died while trying to sacrifice 2 years of his life to help others.

The swear in has been postponed until Tuesday and we are currently in Lusaka receiving counseling. I'll be at the Holiday Inn at the following number until Wednesday morning if any of you would like to call. 011 260 1 251666 rm. 139. Central time zone is 8 hours behind us so do the math and feel free to call me anytime between 9 pm and 8 am my time. If you miss me, try back later. I probably won't be in Kasama until Friday but you can call that number next weekend if you'd like.


Pearson, out.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Brett,
    My name is Jessica....i went to Hamline with Wyatt and he was a pretty close friend of mine. i'm also serving in the Peace Corps and am in my 5th month in St. Vincent (eastern caribbean). Wyatt's death is such a terrible tragedy and i send my condolences...i know how strong the bonds between volunteers can be and if you're at all like me you're probably still in shock and disbelief. take care, fellow PCV.

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It is so heartbreaking to lose someone with so much going for him, someone that is so loving and carefree. He will truly be missed by so many. I love you Wyatt and I will miss you!
    -Bobbie
    A Family Friend

     
  • At 5:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Brett:

    My name is Nyk. I worked with Wyatt in DC before he joined the Peace Corps, and we became very good friends in the short time that I knew him. The short time you knew him is not at all proportional to his ability to touch the heart at a very profound level.

    We have created a memorial website for Wyatt that was launched today. His family will use this website to post announcements of memorial services and special tributes. You can post condolences to his family and friends and also share your reminiscences and photos of Wyatt. Please encourage your fellow PCVs to contribute to this online tribute.

    http://www.wyattammon.org/

    Be safe, and good luck with your work in Zambia.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home