Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

3 Posts in 3 Days...Lucky You

Hello again-

Last night I met a guy named Peacock. He's one of the two guys that is currently in Mporokoso. Actually he's one of the culprits from the watertower fiasco so he's technically been terminated from the Peace Corps. Anywho, in talking with him about my site, it just gets better. I guess I'll be inheriting a pretty sweet dog from the volunteer who's leaving my site next month. That'll be nice having a companion. This girl Annie who is also a trainee will be the other person in Mporokoso and she'll basically be the only Peace Corps person within 150 kilometers of me. We're about 35 km away from each other. She's a very cool chick. She's from Portland, Maine and is extremely funny. So I guess we're going to become bff (best friends forever).

So 12 of us trainees and several current volunteers came into town last night and went out to a nightclub and danced the night away. It was an event that was enjoyed by almost all. Even I, who usually hates dancing, had enough Castles to get out on the dance floor. All of the cab drivers that we tried to get to go back home were drunk though (which is very typical) so we decided just to get a few rooms at the Edinburgh Hotel here in Kitwe rather than risk it.

I've recently gotten a new idea of what I'd like to do when I get back to the states. One girl here was telling me about a program that you can sign up for where you get people to sponsor you for a bike ride so you can earn money for AIDS education, or cancer research, or whatever cause you want to donate money to. Of course we've got 2 years left here so things change, but several of us are talking about trying to bike a few thousand kilometers in southeast Asia for a few months. I think it sounds like a swell idea, but I'll see if it actually happens.

Here is today's cultural tip...
When dancing at a nightclub, there is a heirarchy of priorities of what you dance with in Zambian young culture. First, find a spot along the wall of mirrors and dance looking at yourself the whole time. If there are no mirror spots left, find yourself a girl to dance with. If all of the girls are taken, find a white man to dance with...don't worry it's cool. So now I can cross holding hands with Zambian dudes, and dancing with Zambian dudes off my list. I've almost completed everything off my To Do list so I can probably wrap this up and head home soon.

Well, that's all for this week's installment. Enjoy yourselves and I'll update next weekend.

Pearson, out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home