Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Village Christmas

To celebrate the birth of Christ this year, Marcus and I biked to Jeremy's site about 70 miles away. A total of 6 of us showed for this joyous occasion. Marcus and I got very lucky because despite the incessant rains that come with the rainy season, we managed to bike for 7 hours and remain dry for the entire thing.

Jeremy was quite the host for the holiday season. He bough 4 chickens for us to feast on, bought 40 liters of village beer (katata) and 20 liters of katubi (see below). Jeremy, Devin, and I spent a majority of our time socializing with some neighbors and drinking to celebrate. We had a secret santa gift giving thing. I made a salt shaker and then had some of my village coffee to give for a present, and someone (Jeremy) made me a wooden toilet paper holder and broom to put in my squatty potty. The greatest gift I got though could have been the stocking stuffer that santa gave me which was a nail clipper/bottle opener which was adorned with a picture from the "I'm flying Jack" scene in everyone's favorite, Titanic.

Everybody took off on the 27th, but I remained around for that day. I brought my mandolin down with me and Jeremy and I played for awhile and he wrote a couple songs with such titles as "Three Bottles for Ari" and "Dirty Sheets" (the refrain of which is 'Now all I have are these dirty sheets on my bed, why must I love you?') A really moving tune of a forelorn lover. It would have been fun to travel, but I must say that a village Christmas is a fantastic time if you ever get the chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home