Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Killing Babe

So after spending several years of my life being nice to animals and forcing my parents to use humane mouse traps, I've reached a new low. A month or so ago, I went to a going away party for a fellow volunteer from my intake group who has to go home to get some shoulder surgery. The party was at a white South African farmer's near Hunter's (the volunteer) site. Because Hunter was friends with this family they decided to donate a hog to feed the 25 or so of us who attended this 2 day gala event. With a donated hog comes the requirement for someone to kill said swine.

I've never killed anything other than mice and birds, but for some reason I decided to volunteer to do the deed. It could be due to a change in personality since coming here, or the fact that I was 8 beers deep by noon that day, I'm not sure which. Anyways, we brought the pig in a little 5x5 foot pen. I had backup from three other volunteers so there were four of us and a pig in this pen. Apparently, as directed by the farmer, the best way to go about killing a pig is to hit it between the eyes with a hammer, immediately followed by taking a knife and cutting both of its carotid arteries (throat). So I did just that. Following protocol to name your pig pre-killing, I donned him Billy Baldwin. After getting acquainted with him and apologizing to him, I straddled Billy facing his head, took a couple slow practice swings to line up the shot with the hammer, then came down with a stroke of thunder. That stunned poor Billy so then I took the knife and proceeded to saw through his neck to enable him to bleed out.

The whole event was pretty crazy. I have many pictures, but I won't be posting them on my website due to the graphic nature. But now I feel like a changed man, and more of a bush man if I may.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ohhh, yuk!

     
  • At 10:21 PM , Blogger Thew said...

    If memory serves, you're supposed to drink its blood so it becomes a part of you.

    Wait, that was Red Dawn.

    -Matt (friend of Jonn's)

     
  • At 1:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh My god...how barberic of you...crazy

     
  • At 2:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Pork is a nice sweet meat! How could you have killed my Babe?

    Glad to hear that all is going well. Take care, Brett.

    Don Riley

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home