Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Fiesta in the Bush

After the safari, we returned to Lusaka so we could rent a car and I could play chauffeur to my parents for a week. Now, I've spent many a day of my life behind the wheel of a car, but over here, the steering wheel is on the right side, and they use roundabouts a lot. It was quite stressful for my first couple of hours behind the wheel, but I quickly got the hang of driving on the 'wrong side.'

We made our way up to my village because I had arranged a party for my parents by buying 2 goats and 9 chickens. We spent 3 nights in the village and on the last night was the party. Over 75 people attended, we played music and sang and dance. Chief Lushinga Lupikiso came to my party, presented me with a statue, and gave a speech thanking me for my service. It was my last time being with all of my village friends at the same time. I gave a thank you speech and got fairly misty during it as I looked around at all the faces of those who've taken care of me and helped me through the hard times in the village. Returning home will be great, but I'm certainly going to miss some families back in the village. A few of the families have taken me in as one of their own and I feel so comfortable being with them. There's no awkwardness due to our different backgrounds or anything like that, just good conversation and friendship. Well, enough of the mushy crap, on with the adventures.

During the drive back to Lusaka, I hit a small pot hole and my right front ball joint snapped which disconnected the wheel from the car. We skidded to a halt, thank God I got cell service, and then I called the rental company. 12 hours later the mechanics showed up and gave us a mini van to take the remaining 8 hours back to Lusaka. I had to drive from 10:30 last night until after 7 this morning. Needless to say, I'm quite tired, but at least it provided my folks with yet another story for the golf course of office.

All in all the trip was great though.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ohhhh...now I'm REALLY glad we didn't opt to rent a car! The safaris are amazing aren't they? If you get lonesome for mail, just read some of Devin's. In the meantime, if you ever land on the Central Coast of CA, look me up....and good luck!

    Noni

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home