Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Tanzania

The train ride to Tanzania was actually much better than we anticipated. We had purchased first class tickets under the auspices that we were students (for some reason I still had my Iowa student ID) so we scored some half price tickets. First class cabins sleep four, but lucky for us nobody else was booked so we had a cabin to ourselves. We settled in for a 48 hour trip give or take. The train ride there was quite smooth, it had decent food, and a quality bar/lounge cart so it was a very comfortable ride.
After our second night of sleep in our cabin, we awoke to find that we were going though the Selous Game Park and saw many giraffes and a variety of antelopes.

We arrived in Dar Es Salaam in the early afternoon and made our way to a very Muslim area of town where a recommended guest house could be found. It was a nice place and hearing the call to prayer every few hours was very different/neat. After a fulfilling dinner we headed to The Protein Bar. I'll take this moment to dispell any notions out there that this may be a gay bar. The name may lean that way, but it certainly wasn't. That night we made friends with a Tanzanian guy named George who took us around to several different bars so we could see several different sides of Dar.
The next morning we awoke, ate, and headed to the docks to catch the slow boat to Zanzibar.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home