Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Bon Voyage, Village

I am successfully moved out of my village now. Yesterday afternoon the Peace Corps vehicle came to the house and I moved out for the last time. It was very sad, but I'm excited to get on with the travels. I've yet to actually purchase plane tickets, but as of now the plan is Mozambique for a week and a half, followed by Swaziland for a few days, then the mountainous country of Lesotho for a week or so, followed by a month or so of laying on a beach in South Africa. Hooray! If any of you have a slow September of October, feel free to meet up with me along the way. Cape Town is supposed to be one of the most beautiful cities on the entire planet Earth. I reckon I may return home around Halloween or so. But as with everything concerning me, all plans are subject to change.

It's weird saying goodbye to people in the village because I've made some good friends. I would like to potentially come back some time, but funds may be a problem along the way. I have just been saying, "Goodbye, we'll meet someday in heaven, perhaps." It is an odd sentence to make.

If you would like to see pictures from my parent's visit, click here to see my father's photo gallery.

I am looking forward to returning home and seeing everyone in about two months time now. Stay well and I'll see you then.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:11 PM , Blogger fleshhead sweden said...

    Hi again Brett,
    Thanks for your reply!
    So how is it to have left the village? Must be really wierd. But you will probably be back, it´s hard to stay away. When I left the first time at age 14 (I had been living there with my parents for two years) it was very dramatic, I felt absolutely sure I would never see any of my friends ever again and it was terrible. It took me 8 years to get the money together but I made it and it was totally worth it. Had the best time of my life on that trip. And even though some people were gone (as in dead) loads more than I thought were still around and then of course I made plenty new ones. So never say never.
    About Mozambique, you said you were going snorkling with whale-sharks so I take it you´re going to Tofo, that´s where I spent most of my time too and it´s a great place. I was staying at a place called Turtle Cove that´s a little away from Tofo village but totally worth the 10 minute walk. You get a great brick bungalow with bathroom for less than you get a bunk bed in the village hostels and the place is great. The owner, Nic, is a dedicated surfer and if you want to surf he provides boards very cheaply. The food is also really good and everyone who works there are super nice. You´d have to make the walk for the night life but it ain´t that far and most of the time you can hitch a ride. Behind the market in Tofo village is a real nice little bar (one table, three chairs) where I never saw any of the other visitors and that´s well worth a visit too.
    You should also try to spend a few days in Maputo cause that´s an ass kicking town. The best thing about it is just walking around, for hours and hours, it´s so beautiful. Also take a chapa to Xipimanini market, it´s huge and exiting. Just don´t bring anything with you, no bag, keep your money on your body ( I keep mine in my bra but I guess that´s not an option for you). That place though was the only place in Mozambique where I felt that kind of caution was called for. In Maputo you can walk almost anywhere you want also at night which is great!
    Nice places to go for beer are Nucleo del arte which has a pretty mixed crowd and live bands on sundays. Also check out the program for the french cultural centre, they have some pretty cool stuff going most of the time. The fish market is a must. You go and buy your own fresh fish or sea-food then someone will grab you by the arm and take you behind the market where there are some small restaurants. They will cook your fish for you, bring drinks and rice and whatever and then you pay them for cooking and you will get the best meal of your life in an awesome place. When they grab you in the market, ask for Lourdes, she´s a tall, young girl and wears a blue apron, "her" kitchen is real good. Ask for the price for cooking before you order though. I don´t know what it´s "supposed" to cost but I mean, if you think it´s worth what they´re asking it´s a good price... My last meal in Maputo was giant grilled crabs, tons of grilled prawn, crab curry and rice, salad, beer, grilled fish.... It cost me a total of 15$. Don´t miss!
    I can´t really recomend any of the hostels in Maputo cause as soon as I arrived I decided I wanted to spend the rest of my time in Africa there and went and rented a room in an apartment. I did stay a few days at fatimas and it was ok but a little sleepy.
    I don´t know if you´ve seen my Africa pics, they´re on http://fleshheadafricapics.blogspot.com
    There´s quite a bit from Mozambique, from Maputo and Tofo.
    Well Brett, have a good time in Mozambique and don´t buy a ticket out of there until you´ve tasted it, you may very well want to spend more than a week and a half! And have a 2M for me!
    Looking forward to reading about your trip on the blog.
    Stina

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home