Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Some Zambian Customs

In the village very few people own watches. Asking what time it is is impossible. It's funny, though, because if I say, "Ba Mulenga (Ba is like Mr. or Mrs. here), what time would you like me to show up tomorrow?" I wouldn't expect to hear numbers as his response. Instead, I expect him to stretch out his arm, and with hand outstretched, point to the location in the sky the sun will be at when I should show up. For example, straight above his head means roughly noon. This should make for some interesting miscommunication.
Next, and this isn't just in the village, but most doorways in homes are not tall enough to fit the average human through. I'd guess that it is to save on costs of 2 more layers of bricks all the way around the house or something. Anyways, my front door goes up to my mouth, and the two doorways in my house go up to my forehead. It's been difficult for me to undo 24 years of never having to duck when entering a house, and as a result have drawn blood from my head twice. I bet I've hit the top of my head on my front door 15 or 20 times. I only hit it once today, though, so I must be getting better.

Well from all of us here in my hut, thanks for stopping by to check out my latest update. Have a happy and safe holiday season. Take Care.

Pearson, out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home