Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Desperate Times

After staying here in Zambia for the last 9.5 months, I've learned to enjoy lots of strange combinations of food and drink that I would not have tolerated back home. Most of this is due to laziness moreso than outright need. I find that a lot of times here in Zambia, there may be a lot of food available, but not complimentary foods. I have much food at my site, but there are days where I've cycled 40 miles and been working all day, and just have no desire to cook a proper meal. Below I'll update you on some of my more desperate times.
There have been a few dinners that I've cooked myself that just consists of raw carrots and boiled peanuts. A staple for me in the village is to cook rice, then add a generous spoonful of peanut butter for a hearty meal. I think that the strangest concoction I've had to date though happened at another volunteer's site named EdmeƩ. Annie and I were visiting on our long trek up to Mporokoso so we stayed at her place for the night. It seems like PCVs can't visit each other without a libation or two. So EdmeƩ looked in her house to see what we'd be drinking for the evening. Only the finest Zambian Chateau brandy would be the alcohol of choice, but mixers were limited. Somehow though, what we decided on was not too bad. Anytime you're thirsty, don't shy away from the brandy/powdered Powerade mixture. It's delicious.
No, this post isn't a cry for people to send food, because as I've said, I have plenty of that...but mostly I don't have too much to report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home