Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Inverse Chivalry

Most Zambians are incredibly friendly and helpful to volunteers and guests. I think most of it has to do with the fact that we're Americans, but they are quite courteous to guests in general. Especially male guests.
As you all know, my job requires me to do a lot of biking. When I arrive at a farmer's house and dismount from my bicycle, I'll usually walk with my bike and my farmer. My farmers though always insist on taking my bike from me because it would be so terrible if I actually had to push my own bike. Going along with this, many of my farmers have started to give me food when I visit them as a little thank you. Most of the time these gifts consist of a head of cabbage, or carrots, or a handful of tomatoes, or even the occasional okra. So we walk through their gardens while they pick all of these things but refuse to let me carry my gifts. Their arms will be loaded up, but they still won't allow me to carry a tomato.
On the flip side...women carry many things for men. Most of the times when the men and women return from their fields for the day, the women are carrying large bundles of firewood, maize, or other crops on their heads while the men strain under the weight of a single axe or hoe. My favorite example of this is when I was biking to Mporokoso and saw 4 figures appear on the horizon. As I got closer, I saw that it was 3 women with large bags and bundles on their heads...and the fourth figure was a man carrying tapali (nothing).
It's great to be a man in Zambia, but women, be prepared to work if you ever come for a visit.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:08 AM , Blogger Ned said...

    Genda! It can be a wonderful thing ;-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home