Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

My First Classes

Since I last posted, I've begun having sustainable agriculture courses in a few different villages. I was pretty nervous at first, but had my outline all prepared, my flipcharts all colored and drawn up and was ready to go.
My first meeting was in Kabushi where I had about 8 or 10 guys show up to hear my talk. It was well received, but what I'm teaching goes against tradition and habit...so some of the things are difficult for them to grasp/believe.
My second meeting was held in Chalabesa on a warm afternoon to an audience of only 4 guys. It was slightly disheartening, but they were all really excited about what I was telling them, so it wasn't in vain.
My last meeting was a few weeks ago in a village called Takasalilwa. I was stunned to see that over 30 people came out to hear what I had to say. They were all quite interested and asking questions afterwords, so I'm excited to return and do a lot of work with that village.
Right now I'm working on a grant proposal to get some money to send some of my farmers to a Sustainable Agriculture Training Center here in Lusaka. If that can happen, I can have those guys just training their own villages which would make them better off in the long run. Hopefully I can get the grant accepted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home