Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Mr. Bright Peterson

Well, that's my new name. When meeting villagers or other Zambians I'll introduce myself by saying, "Ishina lyandi nine Brett Pearson." Then they'll say, "Oh, Bright Peterson." I'll respond with, "No. Brett Pearson." That's followed by, "Ok. Bright. Very nice to meet you." Then I just give up and realize that there is nothing I can do about this.
The first time Annie and I met up in Mporokoso after our first week in the village we met with the Department of Fisheries officer because he wanted to introduce us to local big wigs. The first office we went to we sat down and exchanged a few pleasantries with whoever it was then the DOF officer introduced us. I saw that he had our names properly spelled on the sheet of paper he was reading from but when he said my name, it came out "Bright Peterson." The first time, Annie and I just kind of made eye contact and smirked a bit. By the fourth or fifth office we were in, we were to the point of fighting off laughter and I was having to put my thumb and fingers on my cheeks to literally wipe the smile off of my face.
In Zambia, Ba is like Mr. or Mrs. back home so I actually get called Ba Bright. Or, they add y on the end of many things so my favorite is Ba Brighty. Some of the Zambians will chuckle after hearing my name and quip, "So are you bright, Ba Brighty?" I'll respond with, "Of course I am, that's why they sent me." My new name doesn't bother me and there is really no use in fighting it, so I guess I'll just embrace and love it.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:31 PM , Blogger Jeannie said...

    I love it, Brighty, this might stick past your time in Zambia. I hope you are having a great experience there, I look forward to all your stories. They will be good I'm sure, because you are so bright.

     
  • At 8:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just saw your blog info. I was very pleased to see its not as primitive as thought. The pictures were great! You'll be hearing from me soon and God bless.
    -Aunt D.

     
  • At 8:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    PS - I loved your letter!
    -Aunt D.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home