Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Working Man, Kind Of...

As of my last block of posts, I really didn't have much in the way of work to report on. Not a whole lot has changes since them I'm sad to report. I did have a few outings into my village and those surrounding mine to meet the village people. It's hard to accomplish much though during the rainy season because all of the farmers spend most of the daylight hours in their fields planting, hoeing, weeding, harvesting, and whatever else is needed in a field so they don't have much time for me right now.
My goals for my first few months are these. First I hope to get a big fingerling transport taken care of. When Peace Corps first started the fish farming program I'm involved in years ago, they picked a hardy variety of fish that is native to the Nile River called tilapia niloticus. Well since then the World Wildlife Foundation has thrown a fuss about this non-native species escaping into the local waterways and becoming invasive. That is the kind of fish all of my farmers use so I'm planning on trying to bring a couple thousand finger-sized fish up to get a native species into their ponds. My second goal is to get beekeeping started with my farmers. Ba Mulenga, whose land I live on really wants to get started in that so I hope to learn how to beekeep and get started.
It's been hard for me to get much accomplished just because it seems like every other week we've had to come to Kasama or Lusaka for some kind of paperwork or meetings. I suppose that if nothing else I feel like a real adult being required to go to meetings and such.
Other than that, I've gotten my garden all planted and look forward to harvesting some of my various fruits and vegetables. I've also been reading a bunch. I think I finished 10 books in my first month at site now. I think that brings my grand total since I left the states to 15.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home