Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Bats, Spiders, and Mice, Oh My!

I believe my last reports of the wildlife in my house had described a bat and some mice. Things have continued along the same path for sometime. My bat and I were getting along quite nicely for the first few weeks, but we've had a falling out. Count Chocula (his name) would come in my house at night through a crack between the walls and roof and just fly around my house eating insects. He'd wake me up from time to time, but I was good at ignorning him. Every morning I've noticed that there is a wet spot about 5 or 6 inches in diameter on my floor. I really thought nothing of it since it was always in the same spot. I thought perhaps the roof leaked dew there, or something. One night I was awoken by Count Chocula making his usually noises and got annoyed so I got up to check it out. I spied him hanging from a piece of string that hangs from my roof doing something or another. Then something clicked...that was roughly above the same area that the wet spot was showing up at. I walked over to that wing of my house to investigate and much to my chagrin my suspicions were confirmed. I was quite irate. I renamed Count Chocula to Woo and the next morning I began to practice my slingshot. That piece of cement really tied the room together and I am determined to have my revenge. Now everynight when I go to bed I set my slingshot and some clay bullets on my desk next to my bed. (I pay the neighbor boys with one piece of candy for every five clay bullets that they make me.) I'm brushing up on my skills and look forward to when I can knock Woo off of his piece of fabric some night.
So far the spiders haven't been too bad. I have several wall spiders that are about the size of the palm of your hand, but they just hang out and don't bother me. However, the other night as I was getting ready for bed I noticed a spider making a web about an arms reach from my pillow. I got out my headlamp to take a closer look and found that it was a black widow. It had the signature red hourglass shape on its abdomen and everything. I was weirded out and kept thinkiing, "Wow, this little thing could kill me if I let it bite me. " Well I quickly got over that concern and used my Iowa City Ultimate frisbee to squish it. Hopefully that was the end of those.
My biggest foe however is the mouse. These rodents have been driving me slightly insane. Every night I get up 4 or 6 times to check out some rustling or noise that they're making and rebait my mouse trap. I've killed 10 now and after every successful kill I think, "That must be the last one for awhile." But it never is. It seems like there is a never ending supply of mice in my floor. PETA better put me on their list of dangers to wildlife because I have every intention of eradicating every mouse in my area of Zambia. I used to be a proponent of the humane mouse traps back in the states, but those days are over. I am out for blood and get giddy every time I hear the mouse trap get set off because I know that I can make another notch on the wall.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:10 AM , Blogger Christina said...

    Nice reference to The Big Lebowski! It made me laugh out loud! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home