Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Tofo Tsunami 2007

Last night was mildly eventful. Jeremy, Dan (this random British fellow we met), and I went out to eat. As we were walking though the market area, someone came up to us and with hushed and grave tones, she said "Have you guys heard about the tsunami warning? There was an earthquake in Indonesia and they're expecting a tsunami to hit the coast here around 10pm (this was at 7pm). The government is recommending everyone to get away from the coast and seek higher ground." At first we were all thinking of Thailand and the mood over the dinner table became quite morose. Then finally we decided that there wasn't much we could do about it, so following dinner we headed back to our guest house, Fatima's. The scene there was mildly humorous because there were people packing up their gear and heading out in an attempt to get inland. Your three brazen heroes scoffed at the idea of a tsunami and we sat in the bar drinking, waiting for zero hour to arrive. We kept watching the ocean waiting for a massive amount of water to come in, but thankfully that moment never arrived.

This morning Jeremy left and headed back for Zambia, so from here on out, I'm on my own. I'm planning on being here for another four or five days before starting the trip to Swaziland. Tomorrow I'm performing my deep dive at Manta Reef and will hopefully see some of the famous manta's with wingspans over 10 feet wide. Then, on Saturday I'm hoping to do an ocean safari which takes a boat out looking for dolphins and whale sharks and upon seeing them, you get out and snorkel with them for a bit. That should make for some interesting stories.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Brett,
    It sounds like you are having a fabulous experience! But, scoffing at the idea of a tsunami??? Come on, now. Have a fabulous time but please stay safe, especially now that you are traveling on your own. Can't wait to hear from you & your upcoming safari!
    All our love,
    Mom

     
  • At 8:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My sentiments exactly!

    N.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home