Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Springboks Win!

Yesterday was pretty crazy here in Cape Town. Their beloved Springboks were facing the England Roses in the Rugby World Cup finals. There was the hum of electricity in the air all day as every South African anxiously awaited the 9 o'clock start time. I was walking around in the afternoon when at a four-way intersection all of the cars were stopped. One guy hooted his horn, yelled 'Bokke Bokke,' and then every other car sitting there started cheering and hooting their horns. Even ladies get into it. Not to sound sexist, but it's actually the only sport I've been around that the women are just as well versed in rules, players, tactics, et cetera, as well as being just as excited throughout the entirety of the game.
After the Boks victory, the city erupted. I was on Long Street, which has a sort of New Orleans feel with it's balconies and architecture, and there were parades of people marching up and down playing trumpets, waving flags, and just screaming nonsense. This went on throughout the night.
This morning you can tell that everyone is hungover. Or, as Zambians say, 'They have a case of the H.O.' I think most people were sleeping in today because there were hardly any people around when I got up this morning.
I've got two full days left here before having to return home. I don't have much of an agenda, just killing time. Today it's quite overcast, but I hope to get to the beach one more time before I take off.

PS: This is terrible. First the Cubs get swept, then I go and look how the Hawkeyes are faring, and they're second to last in the Big Ten. What the hell is going on?

2 Comments:

  • At 9:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    3 more days! Yeah!

     
  • At 6:36 AM , Blogger NNs said...

    home eh? word is i only have 18 more days. i have no idea but leave it to koehler to take care of the counting. enjoy all that is the midwest. ill be there soon enough.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home