Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mountains, Aquariums, and Winelands

My last several days have been enjoyable. Keira and I hiked Lion's Head on Monday morning, had a few cocktails (myself, Lynchburg Lemonades) on a deck overlooking the ocean, and had a nice dinner with her roommates that night.
On Tuesday, we got up early and met for some breakfast then went straight to the beach in Llandudno. (I hate to admit it, but my affinity for snow and mountains may be shifting towards the beach. I think if I could learn to surf then it would be locked in, but of the three times I've tried now, I can't get the hang of it yet.) After several hours of tanning on the beach and getting brown, a friendly right whale came about 50 meters from the beach and was just splashing around with his pectoral fins and tail for 30 minutes or so. It was pretty funny to just sit there and watch him faff around for the whole time. That late afternoon was spent shopping on Long Street before having to get ready for Keira's going away party. That night we went to a nice sushi restaurant for supper. Despite its attraction as a serious tourist desination, Cape Town is really quite cheap. That supper cost me $10 for 12 rolls, and a double T&T.
Yesterday, Keira flew to the UK to visit her family for a week, so I've lost my traveling buddy and tour guide. Shame. In the afternoon, I went to Two Oceans Aquarium down by the waterfront. It was fairly nice, but rather small actually. The neat thing about it though is that I'd seen several things in the aquarium as I had whilst scuba diving in Mozambique, so I think I enjoyed it a lot more. It's kind of nice walking around Cape Town and the aquarium listening to music like your own personal soundtrack. (It's been a lot of Elliot Smith, Beta Band, Radiohead, and Grandaddy as of late).
Tomorrow I head to Stellenbosch (the winelands) for a full day of wine, cheese, and chocolate tasting. I'm hoping for just a brushing over of the last two but more intense and involved investigation of the first one.
Saturday is the Rugby World Cup Finals between England and South Africa, so this town should be going insane on that night. This is like one step behind having their country in the Soccer/Football World Cup Finals. For fear of getting accosted, I'll be sure to cheer loudly for the South Africa Springboks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home