Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Whole New Words

Since I've been traveling and hanging out with such a wide variety of cosmopolitan characters the last 6 weeks, I've been learning all kinds of words that are apparently in the English language that we don't have in the United States. Many of the words are fun to say if nothing else. Below is a short dictionary for those of you who'd like to expand your vocabulary and learn something new today.

Lekker: adjective: this exciting word is used to describe something as awesome or sweet, e.g. 'This weather/song/party/coffee is lekker, bru.' This is a word mostly used by South Africans.

Bru: proper noun: this word replaces the American words of bro or dude, e.g. 'Hey Bru, can you pass me the salt?'

Faff: verb: to muck around or waste time, e.g. 'Women are always faffing around in the bathroom doing who knows what.'

Potter: verb: synonymous with faff: 'I've just been pottering around the house all morning.'

Ming: adjective: to be disgusting, e.g. 'That towel is minging. That towel mings.'

Slapper: noun: a woman of loose morals or values, i.e. a floozy or skank, e.g. 'Look at that group of slappers that just walked in.'

Hoot: verb: to honk your car horn, e.g. 'The guy behind me is hooting at me.'

1 Comments:

  • At 10:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lekker bru!! HA...continue over-using the term 'slapper' willy-nilly as you do and I have no doubt you'll make plenty more friends! Enjoy the rest of CT you treasure :-)
    KEIRA
    (P.S This is the first time I have ever in my entire existence even been on a blog, let alone posted anything, feel priviledged, feel very priviledged)...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home