Brett Back In School

I have now finished my time overseas and have been home for almost two years now. I've decided to go to Palmer Chiropractic College as a means to create a career for myself. I miss the traveling, but the hope is that I'll be able to afford to travel all I want in my nearish future.

Friday, October 12, 2007

Lesotho, Finished...

Right now I'm sitting in Bloemfontein, South Africa after having woken up at 5:30 this morning to get here. After my Maseru post, I got a ride to Semonkong where the lodge I was staying at was located. The 3 hour drive out there was great because we were driving through mountains the whole time. (Did you know that Lesotho is the only country in the world that is completely above 1000m in elevation?) It was nice to be in the crisp mountain air again for the first time in a couple of years. One thing I didn't count on was the cold factor since they just got out of winter. The first night I was in my tent, I slept for maybe an hour and a half or so because it was about 40 degrees farenheit.
That's ok though because the next day I went pony trekking for most of the day. Before you all laugh out loud, these ponies aren't like shetlands here, they're more like stunted horses. There was a large group of Dutch folks at the lodge and a few of them were in my riding group so that was entertaining hearing them speak the whole time. We spent the morning riding over some hills to get to this huge gorge with an 800 foot waterfall coming over one side of it. That afternoon I went out with the guide (the Dutch's bums were too painful for them to go back out)in the other direction over some mountains to see some other sprawling valleys and the spiral aloe plant that can only be found in Lesotho.
My second full day provided me with some of the funniest minutes of my trip thus far. I was heading out to hike to the bottom of the aforementioned gorge to watch some of the aforementioned Dutch abseil (rappel) along side the aforementioned waterfall (The longest abseil in the world according to Guiness). On the way out to the gorge, the lodge manager likes to play some music to pump up the abseilers. One particular song on the list was 'Paradise City' by G n' R. I don't know what could be funnier than sitting in a vehicle listening to five goofy Dutch singing as loud as they can in their goofy American accents to Paradise City. The whole time they were laughing and slapping each other on their backs. Axl Rose must be some sort of god in Holland.
From here, I must kill about 10 hours of time before getting on a bus tonight to head to Cape Town. Then, only 13 short hours to be confined on the bus and I'll be there. Luckily, I've made a couple of friends along the way that live in Cape, so I'll be able to meet up with them once I get there and they'll be able to show me all the hot spots. I reckon I'll update again in a day or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home